Very occasional thoughts concentrating on the useful.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Electronic deposit flim-flam-scams

My bank now allows me to electronically deposit 3rd-party checks. I just endorse the check as usual, but I scan it and transmit it electronically to my account. Then I'm supposed to destroy the check, never sending it to the bank.
It seems to me that frausters could easily take advantage of people who'd never heard of this. For example, someone could "return" the destroyed paper check after depositing it electronically, and ask for cash payment "instead". If the naive victim throws away the voided copy then it's pretty hard to prove anything.
Of course, this is mild compared to the problems I'm inviting by paying online with credit cards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home